Crispy Oven Fried Chicken
We love the crispy crunchiness of fried chicken. That southern fried tradition is a part of the American food lexicon. But not all of our waistlines (or cholesterol levels) appreciate the finer points of deep fat fried foods. Lucky for you, we’ve made a recipe that gives you all the crispy crunchiness you desire without the need for deep frying or even pan-frying. Our crunch fried chicken comes right from the oven! It’s easy to make so you’ll be able to enjoy it anytime you’re in the mood for a satisfying, southern homestyle dinner – on the healthy side.
Crispy Oven Fried Chicken Recipe
Preheat your oven to 350℉.
3/4 cup crushed cornflakes or cornflake crumbs (you can use 100% cornflakes if you like)
3/4 cup Panko (Japanese style) breadcrumbs (you can use only Panko if you like)
1 teaspoon dried oregano
1 teaspoon dried basil
1/2 teaspoon kosher or sea salt
1 teaspoon granulated garlic
1/2 teaspoon granulated onion
fresh ground pepper to taste
4 lightly beaten egg whites or 3/4 cup egg substitute
Chicken pieces as you choose, approximately 8-10 pieces *
* You can easily make oven fried chicken wings, oven fried chicken breast, oven fried chicken thighs, oven fried chicken tenders or nuggets. If you want you can use bone-in pieces of chicken in the oven for a great taste of baked breaded chicken.
1. Place crushed cornflakes or crumbs and Panko crumbs, in a shallow dish or cereal bowl.
2. Add oregano, basil, granulated garlic, salt, and pepper and mix all ingredients thoroughly.
3. Pour egg substitute or lightly beat egg whites into another shallow dish or cereal bowl.
4. Spray a large baking pan or sheet with nonstick spray or lightly coat with safflower or canola oil.
5. Coat each piece with egg substitute or egg white, then dredge with crumbs mixture to coat thoroughly.
6. Place single layer in pan.
7. Repeat step 6. above until all pieces are coated.
8. Bake in 350℉ oven for about 1 hour, turning 1/2 way through. It’s done if when poked with a toothpick or fork the juices are clear (not pink or red) and the coating is golden brown and crispy.
Add whatever other herbs and spices you like to the coating. Paprika, rosemary, and thyme all work well too.
If you like this healthier version to bake fried chicken in the oven, try our Easy Chicken Kebab Recipe for another quick and tasty meal you can make with chicken in the oven.
Pin It To Your Favorite Recipe Board