Chili & cornbread are a perfect combo. But how can we make that tasty chewy bready delight without dairy and sugar and lots of extra calories? Easy! Here’s a recipe for easy cornbread that’s both vegan and diet friendly – but tastes incredible. We use course ground cornmeal and add some fresh frozen corn kernels to give it that special crunch and sweetness you’ll love.
You can choose to use organic ingredients if you want or substitute other unrefined sugars for the maple syrup. It’s up to you.
2 cups course grind cornmeal
1 cup unbleached all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/3 cup coconut oil, melted
2 tablespoons grade b maple syrup, turbinado, demerara or other sweetener of your choice – adjust to your taste
2 cups almond, soy or other non-dairy milk
2 teaspoons apple cider vinegar
1/2 teaspoon sea salt
1 cup fresh or frozen (thawed) corn kernels (you can use canned but make sure they are unsalted and rinsed)
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
1. Whisk the non-dairy milk and apple cider vinegar together in a mixing bowl and set aside.
2. Put cornmeal, flour, baking powder and salt in another mixing bowl and stir to combine well.
3. Add the melted coconut oil and maple syrup to the non-dairy milk mixture and whisk until it gets bubbly and starts to develop a foam on top. This takes about 2 minutes.
4. Make a well in the center of the dry ingredients and pour the wet ingredients into the well. Mix together gently with a wooden spoon until almost all combined, then add the corn kernels. This should be a thick batter.
5. Spoon batter into an 8×8 square glass baking dish, muffin or mini muffin tins that have been sprayed with non-stick spray.
6. Bake for approximately 30 – 35 minutes until top when pressed is firm.
7. Cool for 5 minutes and if using baking dish cut into squares. Serve warm and enjoy!
THE QUICK BITE: Here’s a recipe for easy cornbread that’s both vegan and diet friendly – but tastes incredible. We use course ground cornmeal and add some fresh frozen corn kernels to give it that special crunch and sweetness you’ll love.