This easy scone recipe will make you smile. Many people see beautiful scones in the bakery window and think they have to be hard to make. Well, guess what? They’re not! This scone recipe is actually a sort of quick bread, so we use baking powder to make them rise.
A Scone Recipe For Every Taste
The best thing about this easy scone recipe is that you can use it as a base to make whatever scones you like. Fruit scones are very popular. You can create fruit scones using dried fruit like cranberries or raisins. Or you can make fresh fruit scones with berries like raspberries or blueberries. You can even use thawed frozen fruit if you make sure to squeeze the excess liquid out before adding.
We enjoy scones for breakfast too. If you want you can add it to you regular breakfast instead of toast or a pancake. And you can add spices or ingredients to this scone recipe to create delicious seasonal scones.
Pair With Your Favorite Beverage
While lots of people love tea and scones, you can actually pair your scones with any beverage you like. You can enjoy them with a cup of warm cocoa or coffee. In summer, you could make a nice lemon and poppyseed scone to go with a glass of cooling iced tea or fresh lemonade.
And this scone recipe will also make nice savory scones. You can add the herbs you like best, fresh or dried and create a wonderful alternative to rolls or biscuits. Cheese scones, especially cheese scones with herbs and spices like basil and garlic are absolutely delicious and make a great afternoon snack too. You can also substitute whole wheat flour for half of the all-purpose flour to make a more rustic scone.
Chocolate chip scones are a great treat anytime. When you make these easy scones you can serve them any way you like. Teatime with jam and clotted or whipped cream is of course a classic. If you want, you can create a simple icing out of confectioner’s (powdered) sugar mixed with water and drizzle it across the top. You can also make any other flavor of icing such as maple or cinnamon for a sweet complement to the flavor of your scone.
These scones freeze well too. So have fun with this easy scone recipe. Use whatever you have in the pantry and then come join us at teatime!
Easy Scone Recipe
Here’s the basic scone recipe for you. As noted you can add whatever additions to the dough that you like to make fruit scones, chocolate chip scones, cheese scones, savory scones or any other scones you feel like. Once you do, you’ll see how easy it is and you’ll make scones for any reason or no reason at all.
1 cup all-purpose flour (can substitute half whole wheat flour for a more rustic scone)
1/3 cup sugar
1/8 teaspoon salt (can be omitted if using salted butter)
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 sticks (4 Tablespoons) cold butter (we use unsalted but use what you have)
3 Tablespoons of milk (you can use any milk you have, even plant-based)
1 large egg, beaten
1/3 cup dried fruit or fresh fruit for fruit scones, or nuts, chocolate chips, cheese or other “mix-ins.” If you want to make savory scones with herbs use about 1 Tablespoon of dried herbs 2 Tablespoons of fresh herbs. For spiced scones use 1-2 teaspoons of spice or spice combinations.
Sugar In The Raw or Coarse Sugar for dusting, optional (cheese, herbs, or spices for savory scones)
Preheat oven to 425 degrees F. Spray baking sheet with nonstick spray or lightly grease with butter or oil or use parchment. This scone recipe is quite flexible, so adjust to suit your own tastes.
1. Combine flour, sugar, baking powder and salt in a medium mixing bowl.
2. Cut cold butter into small cubes and blend in with a fork until mixture looks like coarse breadcrumbs
3. In a small mixing bowl combine milk, 2 Tablespoons of the beaten egg.
4. Add the liquid mixture to the dry mixture and gently blend until just moistened.
5. Gently stir in the “mix-ins” (fruit, nuts, herbs, cheese, etc.) Baking time may be slightly different for savory scones or heavily filled scones.
6. Sprinkle flour onto a flat surface. Empty dough onto a floured surface and knead gently. 6 to 7 times should be enough. You just want to be sure the mixture is smooth and well-blended.
7. Shape the dough into a circular shape and cut into 6 wedges.
8. Use a spatula to separate wedges and place them on a baking sheet.
9. Brush the tops of each wedge with the remaining beaten egg and sprinkle with Sugar In The Raw, Course Sugar, or cheese, herbs, spices chosen for your scone recipe.
10. Bake for 13-15 minutes or until they turn lightly golden.
Enjoy this easy scone recipe and treat yourself to a tea, coffee, or cocoa break during the day. Check out some of our other easy pantry cooking recipes like Baked Italian Rice Balls or Homemade Cornbread Recipe.
Pin To Your Favorite Recipe Board on Pinterest